63. Sri Maragathachalar Temple, Thiruveengoimalai (Musiri), Trichy (Chola Nadu - North of Kaveri):Names of God : Sri Maragathasaleswarar, Sri Maragatha Nathar
Name of Goddess : Sri Maragathavalli
Holy water (Theertham) : -
Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) : Tamarind Tree.
Thevaram : Sambandar
District : Tiruchirapalli.
Location : Trichy.
Timings : 09:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m.
For Complete List of 275 Shiva Temples : Click HereThis is the 63rd sthalam on the northern side of river Cauvery. Thiruganasambandar Paadal Petra Shiva sthalam on the north side of river cauvery. Thiruengoimalai Arulmigu Maragathaleswaraswami Temple lies 40 km from Tiruchirappalli and 5 kms from Musiri, Taluk headquarters in Tiruchirappalli District. Thiruengoimalai lies between Musiri and Thottiam.The hillock is otherwise called Maragathamalai /Thenkailayam /Sivasakthimalai /Malaikovil / Erattimalai. Name of the Goddess is Maragathambigai / Maragathavalli. God is also named as Aragathasalanathar/ Malaikozhnthar / Achutheeswarar / Birameswarar / Indreekarar / Threethar.
- The temple is facing East. There are about 500 steep steps to reach the hill shrine.
- The regular Pooja is performed in the evening.
- The Lord was worshiped by Agasthiya Muni in the form of bee, hence the temple is known as EengoiMalai.
- Different postures of Lord Dhakshinamoorthy can be found on the moolavar vimanam.
- This is the 52nd Sakthi Peedam of 64 Sakthi Peedams.
- Musukuntha Chakravarthy worshiped Lord Shiva. Bogar meditated and attained siddhi of making “Nava Pashanam“ in this hill temple, hence there is a Bogar Shrine at the foot hill.
- Sri Valli Deivanai sametha Arumuga peruman was gifted by Thiyagarajabagavathar, which is kept at the base temple due to safety reasons.
Brahmmotsavam in Panguni (March-April), Masi Magam in February-March, Thai Poosam in January-February and Pujas on all Full Moon days – Poornimas – are the festivals celebrated in the temple.
History / Legend:The name of the place is said to be derived from Thiru-i-ongaimalai (‘i’ meaning bee in Tamil) and to have been so called because the sage Agasthiar, finding the gates of the temple closed one evening, took the form of a bee and entered the temple to perform his worship.
The rays of Sun fall on the presiding deity for three days during the Masi Shivrathri festival. The Linga changes colour during this time. Only a few Shiva temples are on hills and one such is in Eengoimalai in Tiruchi district.
There are three important sacred shiva temples in this region glorified by the Thevara hymns and Agathiar used to worship all the three in a single day. Agasthiar was not satisfied even after worshipping so many temples in south and finally got satisfaction after worshipping these three temples. He worshipped Kadamba nadhar at Kadambar koil in the morning, Rathnagreeswarar temple at Ayyarmalai (Thiruvatpokki) in the noon, and the Thiruvengi nadhar at Thiru-engoi-malai in the evening. It is considered that worshiping all of them in a single day will get us salvation.
Location: This temple is located near Kulittalai. Tiruveengoimalai can be reached from Kulittalai by crossing the Kaveri river and reaching Musiri town. Tiruveengoimalai is near Musiri. One can also travel from Trichy to Musiri and from there can go to Tiruveengoimalai.
Temple Address & Contact Details:Arulmighu Maragathachalar Temple
Phone: 9944120135 / 9443950031 / 04326 262744 (It is better to confirm before going to this temple.)