17. Sri Chakravaheswarar Temple, Thiruchakrapalli (Ayyampettai), Papanasam (Chola Nadu - South of Kaveri):Names of God : Sri Chakkaravakeswarar.
Name of Goddess : Sri Deva Nayaki
Holy water (Theertham) : Cauvery River, Kaka Theertham
Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) : Vilvam.
Thevaram : Thiru Gnana Sambandhar
District : Thanjavur.
Location : Papanasam.
Timings : 08:00 a.m. to 09:00 a.m. and from 05:00 p.m. to 07:00 p.m
For Complete List of 275 Shiva Temples : Click HereThis is the 17th sthalam on the southern side of river Cauvery. Thiruganasambandar has sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple. Chakkarapally is graced by the Lord with his lightning bright long hair adored with Kondrai flowers and Moon and the golden snake. It is a prosperous land of scholars of the four Vedas revered universally. This is the 17th temple on the southern bank of Cauvery praised in Thevaram hymns.
- It is considered as one of 275 Paadal Petral Stalams.
- Thirumal worshiped Lord Shiva and got the Charayutham.
- Chakkavala bird worshiped Lord Shiva.
- The temple is facing east and small Dwajasthambam has been installed during renovation.
- There is no Rajagopuram and only an entrance arch with Iraivan in Rishabhava vahanam.
- Naalvar, Chandran, Suryan, Bairavar and a Bana lingam are in Mandapam.
- In Koshtam Vinayagar, Dhashinamoorthy, Lingothbavar, Brahma and Durgai.
- In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Ganapathy, Sri Valli Devasena samedha Subramaniyar and sandikeswarar.
- Ambal is in a separate temple facing south.
- Old Tamil inscriptions are found on the karuvarai wall and are not readable.
- About 3 feet of the temple is below the ground level.
The temple is facing east. There was no flag post earlier in this temple. At the entrance, the shrine of the Goddess is on the right side. The sanctum sanctorum is built of stone and the tower is on the west. There are not too many sculptures in the tower. Around the corridor are the shrines of Vinayaka, Dakshinamurthy, Lingothbavar, Brahmma and Durga and Lord Muruga.
The Maha Mandapa has the shrines of Sun, Moon, Bhairavar and Nalvar the four saivite saints – Thirugnanasambandar, Thirunavukkarasar, Sundarar and Manickavasagar.
The epigraphy in the temple mentions the place as Rajaraja Chaturvedimangalam of fertile Chola Kingdom Vilanadu. Another one contains the rules and regulations of the Sabha – Panchayat. Only those above the age of 40 can contest election for the Sabha and he should not have contested for 10 years earlier.
History / Legend:The celestial beings called Devas and Jayandhan the son of Indira the king of Devas worshiped in this temple. Lord Vishnu got His discus by worshiping Lord Shiva here, hence, the deity of the temple is named Chakravakeswarar.
The temple has also the reputation of one of the Sapthasthalas – the seven important shrines worshipped by Brahmi, Maheswari, Gaumari, Vaishnavi, Varahi, Mahendri and Chamundi.
Lord Vishnu was blessed with the discus, and the bird Chakravala paravai worshiped Lord Shiva in the temple, are the two stories mention in the history of the place.
Location: Town bus facilities are available from Thanjavur to visit this sivasthalam. It is situated about two and half Kms to the east of Pasupathikoil. Nearest railway station located at Ayyampettai is about 2 Kms from here.
Temple Address & Contact Details:Arulmighu ChakkaraVaagaeswarar Temple
Phone: + 91 9791482102 ; 8056853485 ; +91-4374-311 018.