42. Sri Swarnapureeswarar Temple, Thiruchemponpalli (Semponarkoil), Mayiladuthurai (Chola Nadu - South of Kaveri):Names of God : Sri Swarnapureeswarar
Name of Goddess : Sri Maruvar Kuzhaliammai, Sri Sugandhavana Nayaki
Holy water (Theertham) : Surya Theertham, Indra Theertham, Cauvery
Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) : Vilvam, Vanni
Thevaram : Thirunavukkarasar ; Thiru Gnana Sambandhar
District : Nagapattinam.
Location : Mayiladuthurai.
Timings : 06:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 04:30 p.m. to 08:00 p.m
For Complete List of 275 Shiva Temples : Click HereThis is the 42nd sthalam on the southern side of river Cauvery. Thiruganasambandar and Appar has sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple. Thirusemponpalli / Semponnar Kovil / Lakshmipuri / Indrapuri / Kandhapuri / Madakkovil is one of the 275 Thevara Shivasthalam of Lord Shiva located in Tharangampadi, Nagapattinam District, Tamil Nadu. This is one of the prominent temples of Lord Shiva built by the King Ko-Chengan Chozha of Chozha dynasty. In this temple, Lord Shiva worshiped in the form of a self-manifested Linga.
- This temple classified as Paadal Petra Sthalam.
- Goddess Sri Mahalakshmi worshipped Lord Shiva and attained blessings to wed Lord Vishnu.
- Lord Indra worshiped Lord Shiva and underwent severe austerities to eradicate the sin for attending the Yagna conducted by Dakshaprajapathi, attain Vajrayudham to behead the demon Vruthasura.
- Lord Subramanya worshiped his father and undergone austerities to vanquish the demon Daruka.
- Sage Agastya worshiped Lord Shiva and attained eternal wisdom (Sakala Purushartha).
- Lord Brahma worshiped Lord Shiva and attained the responsibility of Creation.
- Rathi Devi worshiped Lord Shiva and attained Lord Kamadeva as her husband.
- Nagakanyakas worshiped Lord Shiva and attained virtuous companions.
- Ambal in a separate sannadhi with Sabtha kanniyars.
- There is no kodimaram and Rajagopuram.
Gallery Of Swarnapureeswarar Temple:
History / Legend:A story goes that when Lord Shiva refused to receive Mother Parvathi back after visiting Her father’s Yajna against His advice, Lord Muruga came to the Mother in the form of Shiva and imparted good advices in this place. Based on this story, Lord Muruga appears in the temple with an Akshamala. Shiva appeared in this place only as Veerabadra. Rathi worshiped Lord Shiva here to get back her husband Manmatha. Lord Vishnu too had worshiped Lord Shiva here.
Mother Sugantha Kundalambica is praised by many names - Pushpalaki, Dakshayani, Suganthalaki, Suganthavana Nayaki and Maruvar Kuzhali. It is advised that a dip on the new moon day in Chithirai and Vaikasi Tamil months – April-May and May-June, the devotee can wash off all his/her sins.
Daksha, son of Brahmma gave his daughter Dakshayani to Lord Shiva in marriage. Yet he intentionally failed to invite Lord Shiva for a yajna he performed. Mother Dakshayani wanted to correct Her father by visiting the yajna. But clouded by arrogance and pride, Daksha humiliated his own daughter and Her Lord. Furious Dakshayani cursed her father that his yajna would not go on. She also begged Her Lord to destroy the yajna. Lord Shiva created Veerabadra, Badrakali and others to destroy the yajna along with Daksha. Dakshayani to wash off Her sin as the daughter of a Shiva opponent performed penance here sitting around five types Agni-fire. Lord, pleased with Her penance named Her Sugantha Kundalambikai and took Her to bless devotees along with Him in the temple.
Location: This sivasthalam, popularly referred to as Sombonaar Kovil, is located at about 10 Kms from Mayiladuthurai on the way to Tarangambadi. Another Paadal Petra Sthalam Tiruppariyalur is situated within 3 Kms from this temple.
Temple Address & Contact Details:Sri Semponnarkoil Swarnapureeswarar Temple,
Pin code: 609 309.
Phone: +91-99437 97974.